Brief Timeline of FWBC
We are proud to celebrate over 90 years of history in Fort Worth and continue to grow into an institution with a national reputation for sailing excellence. Since inception, FWBC members have proudly flown the Club burgee while leisurely sailing and competitively racing worldwide.
Fort Worth businessmen, George Q. McGown & E.P. "Skinny" Haltom built a 15 foot flat-bottomed boat to row, motor, and sail on Lake Worth.
The little vessel caught on with Ft. Worth's fledging boating community and soon the two men had 10 more of the "Minnow" boats built for other friends.
The Fort Worth Boat Club is organized,
“dedicated to advancing the community’s knowledge, enjoyment and appreciation of boating".
William F. Crosby creates a new design for the club, moving the club’s fleet from “Minnows” to “Longhorns.”
McGown is elected Commodore
Haltom as Vice-Commodore
13.5 miles of the Eagle Mountain shoreline, owned by Fort Worth's John Burgess, is donated to the new club. Providing that a suitable clubhouse be erected and that it operate for five years, the land grant would be made permanent.
The club moves to Eagle Mountain Lake.
The first official races are held
The Boat Club continued to grow, despite the onset of World War II. Several members served their country in the second World War, including Hub E. Isaacks (pictured, right) and J. Merida Ellis.
Three members gave their lives:
→ Maj. R. C. Barthold
→ Lieut. G. W. Haltom
→ Maj. John W. Herbert III
First mention of the Skipperettes was in
the 1942 Race Committee Report:
“The ladies sailed 7 races, and there were 17 participating Skipperettes. Suzanne Thomason was champion with an average of 78.8, and Glenn Hill (pictured right) was second with an average of 74.5. The races were successful and Fleet Captain Gould requests, and this Committee believes, they should be continued.”
Flooding in 1943 greatly damaged the deck of the dock and parts of the harbor.
The 1950s were a time of growth and expansion for the Boat Club. The Clubhouse was remodeled and excavation of the harbor began.
Ticonderoga Crew (pictured left)
•Back row: John Scott, George and Houston Hill, three unknown, Howard Cole
•Top right: Hub Isaacks, Skipper
•Back row: right E. C. Donnell
•Front row: Roger Owinks, Tom Loftland, Acleucjn, Chuck Griffin
The Fort Worth Boat Club’s notoriety also grew with international wins, such as Hub Isaacks and his Ticonderoga crew’s victory during the St. Petersburg-Havana Yacht Race in March 1951.
Dianne Cornewell, Onah Barwise Penn,
Lucy Darden, Bob Wheelock,
Glenn Hill Lattimore